If your skin is asking for a way to soothe it out and hydrate it, then you'll love apricot for skin. This godsend ingredient is perfect for dry, sensitive skin, and it can help keep your skin looking young and healthy. Scroll down to learn more about apricot and its benefits for skincare!
What is apricot?
An apricot is a fruit that belongs to the rose family. It is believed to have originated in Armenia and is now grown in many parts of the world, including Europe, Asia, and North America.
Apricots are not just for pie! This plump, orange fruit has been used for centuries in skin care products. Apricot for skin is rich in vitamins A and C, which are essential for healthy skin. Vitamin A helps to increase cell turnover, while vitamin C helps to brighten the complexion and protect against environmental damage, which makes this fruit a must-try for those with dry/sensitive skin.
So if you're looking for a way to boost your skin's health, reach for an apricot-based product. Your skin will thank you!
Pros & Cons of using apricot skincare products
- The alpha-hydroxy acids in apricots help to exfoliate the skin, making it look brighter and smoother.
- Apricot oil is very soothing and can be used to relieve dry, irritated skin.
- They’re a natural source of vitamin C. This vitamin is essential for collagen production, and it helps to reduce inflammation and the appearance of wrinkles.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of apricots can help to reduce swelling and redness caused by sun exposure.
- Apricots contain beta-carotene. This nutrient is converted into vitamin A in the body, and it helps to keep the skin healthy and hydrated.
- Although apricot for skin makes a great exfoliant, it’s important not to overdo it! Over-exfoliating skin can cause dryness and irritation
- You can be allergic to apricots! So always make sure to do a patch test before applying it to your face.
Since both apricot extract and apricot oil are extracted from the fruit, they’re considered to be clean skincare ingredients.
Apricots belong to the rose family and are fruits that grow all over the world, so they’re categorized as vegan ingredients.
One of the best apricot skin benefits is that it can brighten and soothe the skin, which makes it a must-try ingredient for expecting mamas! And the good news is that it’s totally safe! However, you should always consult with your doctor before including any new products in your routine.
Just like with pregnancy, apricots are safe to use during the breastfeeding period!
Apricots can be found as active ingredients in skincare products thanks to its brightening, soothing, and moisturizing properties.
The comedogenicity of apricot depends! Apricot kernel oil is mildly comedogenic, which means that its possibilities of clogging your pores are small, but still there. On the other hand, apricot extract is not comedogenic.
EWG (Environment Working Group) Score
Both apricot fruit extract and apricot kernel oil have a “1” score from the EWG, which means that they’re safe to use on the skin without causing irritation or allergies.
CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review) Rating: A
The CIR has rated apricot for skin with an “A”, meaning that it’s safe to use in skincare and makeup products.
PRECAUTIONS: Things to know before using apricot skincare products
When to use apricot skincare products?
It depends on the product! However, as a general rule, apricot is a gentle and non-drying ingredients, which means that they can be used on a day-to-day basis if the product allows you to. Always check the product tags to know how to use it.
What skin type are apricots good for?
The apricot skin benefits are better enjoyed by those with dry and sensitive skin that want to soothe the skin, brighten the complexion, and get rid of dry, rough patches.
What you can’t mix with apricots?
Don’t mix apricot skincare products with other exfoliating agents like AHA’s, BHA’s, and citric acids, since, together, they can over-exfoliate your skin and cause irritation.
- Apricot Blossom Peeling Gel | Gentle Exfoliator
- Nourishing Care Lip Sleeping Pack | Soft & Healthy Lips
- MAMONDE Rose Water Soothing Gel | Soothes & Hydrates Skin
$15 and under apricot products
What are the apricot skin benefits?
Apricots are a delicious summer fruit, but did you know that they can also be good for your skin? Apricots are packed with nutrients like Vitamin C and antioxidants, which can help to protect the skin from damage and keep it looking young and healthy. In addition, this delicious fruit also contains anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to soothe irritated or inflamed skin. And, if that wasn’t enough, the natural exfoliating action of apricot skin can help to remove dead skin cells and reveal brighter, more radiant skin.
Can I use actual apricots on my face?
Using real, raw fruit on your face can cause more harm than good! It can irritate your skin, dry it out, or not do anything at all! Remember that formulated skincare products contain the exact amount of fruit your skin needs to actually receive all the benefits of apricot oil for skin or the ones of the extract.
Can apricots brighten the skin?
Yes! The vitamin C and vitamin A in apricots work as a gentle exfoliator that will get rid of dead skin cells, revealing brighter skin.
Tips & Tricks to include in your skincare routine
- Exfoliate with apricot scrub. Apricots are a natural source of alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), which help to exfoliate the skin and improve cell turnover. For best results, use a gentle apricot scrub 1-2 times per week.
- If your skin is feeling dry or tight, an apricot mask can help to infuse much-needed moisture. Look for a mask that contains hydrating ingredients like glycerin or hyaluronic acid, as well as nourishing ingredients like vitamin E or shea butter. Apply the mask for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
- Apricot oil is rich in oleic acid, a type of omega-9 fatty acid that has anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it ideal for soothing irritated or inflamed skin. So, getting a soothing gel or cream with apricot can be a good idea.