If you're like us, then you probably think that cucumbers are the MVP of vegetables – and we are not just talking about their delicious taste and crunchiness. This versatile veggie can also do wonders for your skin! Keep reading to learn all about cucumber extract skin benefits
What is Cucumber for skin care routine?
Cucumber is a do-it-all water-based skincare ingredient that has been the fave of the beauty industry for years.
Their anti-inflammatory and cooling properties make them ideal for soothing irritated skin, while their high content of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals help keep the skin healthy and hydrated.
Moreover, these veggies are a natural source of salicylic acid, which is a beta hydroxy acid *aka the power couple to treat acne*
Pros & Cons of using Cucumber in your skincare routine
- Cucumber on skin works as an astringent to tighten, even out skin tone, and control oil production.
- They are a great source of antioxidants, which help to protect skin from free radicals and other environmental toxins
- Cucumbers contain vitamins A, C, and E, as well as minerals like magnesium and potassium. These nutrients promote collagen production, help reduce inflammation, and collect harmful toxins.
- Cucumber extract for skin is super-soothing and refreshing, making them perfect for summertime use or if you have sensitive skin.
- They are a natural source of water, which helps to hydrate the skin and keep it looking healthy and radiant.
- Another of the cucumber extract skin benefits is its anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce and calm acne.
- The high water content in cucumbers can make your skin feel slick and slimy if you have hydrated skin.
- You may be allergic to cucumber beauty products, so you may experience irritation and itchiness
Cucumber Ingredient Specifications
Cucumber is considered clean because it's free from harmful chemical ingredients.
If you are looking for a natural and vegan-friendly skincare option, cucumber extract is a great choice, since it comes from a vegetable and not from an animal source.
Cucumbers are a safe ingredient for pregnant moms. They are a great way to give your skin its daily dose of vitamins B and C. Not only that, but they're also rich in potassium which enhances your skin’s moisture!
Fortunately, cucumbers are safe to use during breastfeeding because they don't enter the bloodstream when applied topically on your skin, helping you to soothe the inflammation caused by pregnancy.
Cucumber extract for skin can be found as an active ingredient in most products such as moisturizers, toners, and masks.
Cucumber extract is not pore-clogging, this means that it is non-comedogenic. In fact, this ingredient is often used in skin care products to help keep your skin clear and free of blemishes.
EWG (Environment Working Group) Score
The EWG Score for cucumber extract is 1, so it is non-toxic and does not contain any harmful ingredients.
CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review) Rating: A
The CIR Rating for cucumber extract is A, meaning that it is " safe as used in cosmetics."
PRECAUTIONS: Things To Know Before Using Cucumber Beauty Products
Do you think you are ready to get all the refresh in? Not yet! There are a few things you need to know first:
When to use Cucumber on skin?
Cucumbers are a great way to help improve the health of your skin, that’s why you can use them in your morning and nighttime routine *especially if you have sensitive skin or have sunburn*
What skin type is Cucumber good for?
The extract from cucumber is great for all skin types. However, it works wonders for irritated and dry skin since it can soothe and calm inflammation, reduce the appearance of dark spots, and hydrate the skin.
What can’t you mix with Cucumber?
- Salicylic acid: cucumber extract for skin already contains salicylic acid, so using more could dry your skin instead of getting rid of blemishes.
- Retinol: these two ingredients can interact with each other and lower their benefits, so it is better to use them separately.
Top Cucumber Beauty Products Picks
- Tonymoly Panda's Dream Eye Patch
- Neogen Real Fresh Foam - Green Tea
- Neogen Real Fresh Foam - Blueberry
$15 and under products with Cucumber
- Real Nature - Cucumber Sheet Mask | Moisturize and Recharge Your Skin
- Cucumber Mask sheet
We know you might be wondering how to use cucumbers and we're here with all of your answers!
Does cucumber make your skin glow?
Yes, The natural beauty mineral- silica, is found abundantly in cucumber that helps make your skin glow instantly. Cucumber hosts an array of essential vitamins and minerals that help soothe inflammation, lower redness & prevent blemishes.
Can cucumber on skin remove dark circles around the eyes?
Yes. It can lessen dark circles around the eyes because it is a rich source of Vitamin K. It helps soothe your eyes and skin but it also strengthens the walls of our blood vessels making your veins less visible.
Can cucumbers reduce puffy eyes?
Yes, Cucumbers are great for soothing the skin around your eyes, reducing dark circles and puffiness. The gentle extracts will give you that extra hydration needed to reduce dryness or redness in those sensitive areas!
Does cucumber cause acne?
No, on the contrary, cucumbers are full of vitamin C and E, which can help reduce the occurrence or severity in cases like acne.
What ingredient in cucumber is good for soothing the skin?
Cucumbers are a great way to get your daily dose of vitamin C and folic acid. Vitamin C promotes new cell growth, while the presence in cucumber can help fight off environmental toxins that make skin look tired or prematurely aged. Together these components may result in looking firmer with healthier-looking wrinkles!
Tips & Tricks
- If you've been experiencing puffy under eyes or a swollen feeling on your cheeks, then it's time to get yourself some soothing sheet masks. Place these in the fridge for 10 minutes so that they'll have an even more profound effect when applied directly after being chilled down!
- Raw cucumber can stain your clothes, so use a towel to cover up
- If you have sunburn or sensitive skin, go for a soothing cucumber extract face mask.