Sensitive skin, you either have it or know someone who does. It's that skin that seems to be always irritated, red, itchy, and just plain unhappy.
I totally get you! Sensitive skin is no joke. It can be so frustrating to find a skincare routine that actually works for you, and sometimes it seems like nothing is ever going to help with that annoying sensibility.
But don't worry, we're here to help! In this post, we'll share our ultimate skincare routine for sensitive skin, so you can finally get the relief you deserve. I promise, with this routine, your skin will be soft, smooth, and free of any irritation or redness.
So what are you waiting for? Start reading!
But first, what is sensitive skin type?
Do you have sensitive skin? If you're not sure, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you find that most skincare products irritate your skin?
- Do you have to be very careful about what products you use, as even gentle products can sometimes cause a reaction?
- Do you have redness, itchiness, or burning sensations on your skin often?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you likely have sensitive skin.
Sensitive skin is a common skin type that occurs when the outermost layer of skin is damaged or weakened. This damage can be caused by a number of factors, including sun exposure, harsh weather, or even using the wrong skincare products.
As a result of their reactive skin, people with sensitive skin are more prone to developing conditions like rosacea or contact dermatitis.
Best skincare for sensitive skin: The easiest, irritation-free routine
If you have sensitive skin, you know the struggle of trying to find skincare products that won't irritate your skin. From swiping left on drying cleansers to getting ghosted by moisturizers that are too light, it can feel like you're always striking out when it comes to finding the right skincare for your sensitive skin.
That’s why we've created an easy skincare routine that you can follow to say goodbye to redness and irritation. From the basic steps to fave skin care products for sensitive skin, here’s everything you need to know:
Step #1: Gentle skin cleanser
Seriously, for sensitive skin types, you need to be careful about what you use to clean your face. So, here’s what a good cleanser should look like:
- It should be free of soap, dyes, fragrances, and harsh chemicals, which can irritate delicate skin. Plus, if you want to include a makeup remover in your routine, make sure it doesn’t contain alcohol!
- Second, it should be gentle enough to use on a daily basis without stripping the skin of its natural oils.
- And finally, it should contain ingredients that help to soothe and protect the skin, like Centella Asiatica, chamomile, and tea extracts.
Here are my must-try cleansers for sensitive skin that check all the boxes and can give you a gentle cleanse:
- CALENDULA COMPLETE CLEANSING OIL - One bottle does it all!
- BENTON HONEST CLEANSING FOAM - Clears pores without irritating your skin
Want to know what cleansers are perfect for sensitive skin? We shared some secrets in this article: Types of Cleansers: Yeah, There is More Than One!
Step #2: Toner
I like to think of toner as a tall glass of iced water for your face, so it should be refreshing and effective enough to restore your pH levels without affecting your skin’s barrier function.
For a toner, you’ll need to look for skincare products that are alcohol-free and don’t contain any harsh astringents that could irritate your skin. Here are my top picks for you:
- ROSE WATER GALACTOMYCES TONER - Roses are red and gentle too
- HYDRIUM WATERY TONER - The moisturizing toner your skin needs
Step #3: Serums
This is the go-to step if you want to achieve calm skin!
A good serum for sensitive skin should have a natural antioxidant, like vitamin C, to soothe and protect the skin. It should also have anti-inflammatory properties to help reduce redness and irritation.
In addition, it should also contain moisturizing agents, like hyaluronic acid, and barrier-repairing agents to help protect the skin from further damage. When these three things are combined, they can help to create a serum that is gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin types.
Here are our winner serums that meet all the criteria to be perfect:
- TEA TREE RELIEF SERUM - Soothe and Calm Irritated Skin
- PROPOLIS VITAMIN SYNERGY SERUM - Get the glow of a K-pop star
Step #4: Moisturizer
Moisturizers are an essential part of any skincare routine, but they can be tricky to navigate if you have sensitive skin.
The good news is that there are a few key ingredients to look for that can help to soothe and protect delicate skin while also restoring the skin’s moisture barrier. First, choose a moisturizer that is fragrance-free and free of harsh chemicals. This will help to avoid irritation and inflammation.
Next, look for a moisturizer that contains ingredients like aloe vera, shea butter, and herbal chamomile, which are known for their calming properties. Finally, make sure to choose a product that is non-comedogenic, meaning it won't clog pores and cause further damage if you also have eczema-prone skin.
Looking for a good moisturizer to avoid dry skin? Here are my faves:
- CENTELLA CALMING GEL CREAM - Dry skin no more!
- ADVANCED SNAIL 92 ALL IN ONE CREAM - Repair and regenerate the skin barrier
Step #5: Sunscreen
SPF is important, but so is preventing your skin from turning into a nice, crusty lobster. If you have sensitive skin, sunscreens with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are your BFFs. These ingredients provide a physical barrier between your skin and the sun's harmful rays. And since they're not absorbed into your skin, they're less likely to cause irritation.
Apply it during your morning skincare routine and, if you’re expending the day under the sun, don’t forget to reapply it every now and then to avoid dark spots, aging signs, irritation, and other skin issues.
- SOON JUNG MILD DEFENCE SUN CREAM - Sun cream that keeps you cool
- ARTLESS GLOW BASE SPF 50+ PA+++ - Look glowy & protected all day long
Note: you can totally add even more steps to your routine, like an eye cream before moisturizer or a face mask after toning for an even more radiant complexion. It all depends on you!
Skin care products for sensitive skin: Do’s and Don’ts
With so many products on the market, it's hard to know which ones will work for you and which ones will leave you feeling red, blotchy, and itchy. To help you make the best choices for your skin, here are a few do's and don'ts:
- Look for products that are labeled " hypoallergenic", “allergy tested”, “fragrance-free”, “paraben-free”, or "for sensitive skin.". These products have been specifically formulated to be gentle on sensitive skin. In the U.S. you can also find hypoallergenic products that have the National Eczema Association Seal.
- Do a patch test for new products before using them all over your face. Apply a small amount of the product to a small area of your skin and wait 24 hours to see if there is any reaction. If there is no reaction after 24 hours, it should be safe to use the product on your entire face.
- Be patient. It may take some trial and error to find the right products for your skin, but it will be worth it in the end. Start with small amounts of each product and gradually increase if needed. And don't forget to give your new regimen time to work!
- Always look for hydrating and calming ingredients like hyaluronic acid, essential oils, rice extracts, vitamin E, witch hazel, and other active ingredients.
- Listen to your skin. Ultimately, only you know what's best for your skin. If a product isn't working or if you're experiencing any irritation, discontinue use immediately. And always consult with a dermatologist if you have any concerns about your skin care routine.
- Assume that all natural products are automatically good for your skin. Just because a product is made from natural ingredients doesn't mean it won't aggravate your skin. In fact, some natural ingredients and beauty products can actually be quite irritating even though they are vegan and apparently safe.
Mix ingredients that can be drying and irritating, like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. These ingredients can help to treat acne, but also can cause redness and irritation. Want to know what other ingredients you shouldn’t mix? Here’s what you need to know!
- Use products that contain alcohol or other harsh ingredients. These can irritate sensitive skin and make your condition worse.
- Use more products than is necessary. A little goes a long way with sensitive skin, so using too much can actually do more harm than good.
- Skip the sunscreen. Sensitive skin is especially susceptible to sun damage, so always wear sunscreen when you'll be spending time outdoors. Look for a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and reapply it every few hours if you're going to be in the sun for an extended period of time.
Facial products for sensitive skin: Where to find them
Now that you know everything about the perfect skincare for sensitive skin, it’s time to go shopping!
If you fell in love with any of these products or are itching *no pun intended* to find the right components for your ideal skincare routine, you’ve come to the right place! In Asian Beauty Essentials we have the best skincare products for your skin type!
Want to shop by skin type? Here’s our sensitive skin collection!
- How To Build A Skincare Routine: Easy Guide To Your Dreamed Skin!
- 10 Best-Kept Skin Care Tips that will Skyrocket Your Routine
- Time To Spill The Tea: Tea Tree Oil Benefits For Skin
- Should I Wear Sunscreen Indoors? The Definitive Answer!
- What SPF Should I Use: The Things No One Will Tell You
- Moisturizer For Oily Skin: Do or Don’t?
- An A to Z Guide to the Buzzworthy Korean Skin Care Routine
- The 5 Best Korean Skincare Brands For Those With Sensitive and Dry Skin
I regret taking care of my skin – said no one, ever. May my skin be glowing and looks strong. Aging is a fact of life. That led me to look for skincare products such you mentioned above to take care of my skin well