Calling all skincare rookies!
Skincare routines are not your BFFs? If you're like most people, you probably don't give skincare the attention it deserves! You might wash your face every morning and night, but that's about it. Unfortunately, this isn't enough to maintain healthy skin.
Skin is the foundation of beauty so it's important to have a good skin care routine to nourish it and give it all the love it deserves. Taking care of your skin can help you look and feel your best, and it's a great way to show off your natural beauty. However, many people wrongly believe that having flawless skin is a nightmare when, in reality, improving or creating an amazing skincare routine doesn't have to be difficult.
If you are thinking about entering the world of skincare and feel afraid AF, don’t worry! Lucky for you, we've compiled a list of 10 skin care tips that will help you to skyrocket your routine!
These tips are easy to follow and will help keep your skin looking its best. So whether you're looking for ways to fight acne prone skin, premature skin aging, dark spots, or just want to maintain healthy skin, these beauty tips and tricks will help. Keep reading for our best skincare tips!
Best skincare tips to give your skin a boost
It's no secret that skin care can be expensive. But there are some easy ways to cut corners and still maintain a healthy, youthful complexion. Here are our favorite easy-to-follow tips to help boost your routine without breaking the bank:
Sun protection is a *MUST*
One of the most important skin care tips is to always wear sunscreen, unless you are a vampire and never go out during the day *however, even Edward Cullen protects himself from the sun*. Whether you're spending a day at the beach or just running errands, it's important to protect your skin against sun exposure.
There are a lot of different sunscreens out there to protect you from the UV rays, so find one that best suits your needs and budget. We recommend you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen rich in zinc oxide and titanium dioxide with AT LEAST SPF 30.
Ultraviolet radiation can cause damage to the skin, leading to premature aging, dark spots, inflammation, irritation, uneven skin tone, and an increased risk of skin cancer. Always apply sunscreen or a moisturizer that includes SPF during your daily routine and try to stay in the shade whenever possible.
Lots, lots of water
Having skin hydrated is not only about using the best moisturizer, it is also about drinking water. Staying hydrated is important for overall health, and it's also important for keeping your skin healthy.
As we age, our skin naturally loses its ability to retain moisture, that’s why water helps keep skin cells hydrated, which can help reduce wrinkles, age spots, and other skin concerns.
This is for all of those who always try to pop their pimples *yes, we are watching you*: S T O P touching your face with your hands. And no, we are not talking about when you touch your face to do your skincare routine, we are actually talking about when you pinch or scratch your face while your hands are dirty.
Believe us, for us, popping a pimple is satisfying and super tempting too, but it's not the best for your skin. Touching your skin can worsen your acne, clog pores, and leave nasty scars that won’t go away easily. Moreover, if you have sensitive skin, it can seriously damage your skin’s barrier.
Eat your greens
We all love eating a good burger and fries from time to time, however, having an unhealthy diet is not only damaging for your body, but it can also affect your skin.
What you eat plays an enormous part in the health of your skin. Be sure to include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet to keep your skin clean and avoid skin problems like clogged pores which can lead to acne breakouts.
Comedogenics are a BIG no-no
Many products contain harsh chemicals and ingredients that your pores will not absorb, generating a lot of residues that will damage your skin.
Comedogenic ingredients are those that have the potential to cause blackheads and whiteheads in any skin type. Ingredients like coconut oil and cocoa butter are often touted as being great for skin, but they are actually comedogenic, so you shouldn’t apply them to your face *even if your favorite DIY tutorial tells you to do so*
Any board certified dermatologist would advise you to stay away from comedogenics if you want to maintain clear skin. Instead, look for non-comedogenic products or ingredients that will not clog your pores.
Exfoliate, but don’t overdo it!
Exfoliation is key to maintaining healthy skin, but you don’t want to overdo it. If you're over-exfoliating your skin, it can actually do more harm than good. Over-exfoliation can lead to irritation, redness, and even breakouts.
So how much is too much? Stick to exfoliating a few times a week tops, and always use gentle circular motions when scrubbing your face.
You should also avoid using harsh scrubs with large particles as these can cause micro-tears in the skin. Instead, opt for a softer physical exfoliator or chemical exfoliants like glycolic acid or lactic acid.
IMPORTANT: For the love of the skincare gods and goddesses, stop using common sugar or coffee as an exfoliator!
Read related article here.
Stay away from harsh cleansers
Another of our favorite skin care tips is to avoid using harsh cleansers on the skin. These cleansers can actually damage your skin's natural barrier, which can lead to dryness, redness, and irritation.
If you're looking for a gentle cleanser that will still get the job done, try using one with hyaluronic acid or glycerin. These ingredients are gentle on the skin, won't strip it of its essential oils, and will remove dead skin cells effectively.
Use a gentle cleanser twice a day, every day, and rinse it away with lukewarm water, since hot water can leave the skin dry and irritated.
Swear by getting your beauty sleep
Believe it or not, getting enough sleep is important for maintaining healthy skin. The body's largest organ, the skin, is constantly working and needs time to repair itself. During sleep, the body produces human growth hormone, which helps collagen production and cell regeneration. This means that getting enough sleep is crucial for keeping your skin looking healthy and young.
Extra-tip to upgrade your beauty sleep: add overnight face masks to your night skincare routine to give your skin all the pampering it needs while you are resting
It doesn't matter if you arrived too tired after partying until dawn and just want to snuggle up in your bed, you must *should absolutely with no exceptions* remove makeup before going to bed.
Sleeping in your makeup will not only cause acne, but it can also age your skin prematurely, that’s why removing your makeup before bed is an essential step that will transform your skin.
In addition, not removing your makeup can cause your skin to look tired and old. By taking a few minutes each night to properly remove your makeup, you can keep your skin looking healthy and youthful.
Use a good quality makeup remover to make sure all of your makeup is removed completely.
Apply moisturizer religiously
It is important to moisturize your skin every day, regardless of your skin type. Look for a moisturizer that fits your needs- whether it is for normal skin, mature skin, dry skin, oily skin, or a combination of any of them.
Skin ages fast and a good way to prevent wrinkles and fine lines is to hydrate your skin daily. That’s why you should apply moisturizer religiously and use it after you wash your face and before you apply makeup.
Read related article here.
Beauty tips and tricks depending on your skin type and concerns
There is no one-size-fits-all solution to skincare, as the needs of each person’s skin can vary greatly. However, if you're a skincare rookie, you're probably always on the lookout for beauty tips and tricks. And what's better than finding ones that are tailored specifically to your skin type?
There are many skin types, so whether you have dry or oily skin, we have got some great general skincare tips that will help you treat your skin conditions.
Best skincare tips for oily skin
- Choose skincare products that are specifically designed for your skin type. Products that are oil-free and have a light, matte finish are ideal for your skin care routine.
- Use a gentle cleanser to remove excess oil and dirt from your skin each day. Avoid using harsh scrubs or cleansing brushes, as these can cause irritation.
- Use a toner after cleansing to help remove any remaining traces of oil and dirt. Toners with ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can be particularly helpful for oily and acne-prone skin since they can reduce the inflammation caused by pimples.
- Apply a light moisturizer to your face every morning and evening. Look for skin care products that are oil-free and include hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid.
- Try to avoid using heavy makeup products. Choose light, oil-free foundations and powders, and avoid using creamy blush and eye shadows if you don’t want to have greasy-looking skin.
- Blotting papers will be your new BFFs! Use blotting papers to remove excess oil from your face throughout the day.
- Drink enough water every day to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out.
Best skincare tips for dry skin
- Use a light cleanser that doesn't contain any harsh chemicals or detergents. A soap-free one is ideal for gentle cleansing without losing your skin’s essential oils.
- Apply a moisturizer to your face and neck each morning and evening. Look for a moisturizer that is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and essential fatty acids.
- Apply a lip balm to your lips each day to help keep them hydrated and avoid sun damage.
- Avoid using harsh exfoliators or scrubs. Instead, use gentle exfoliators with alpha hydroxy or beta hydroxy acids to get rid of dead cells and dry patches.
- Avoid using hot water when washing your face. Lukewarm water is best.
- Include a face mask, such as a sheet mask, in your skin care routine once a week to deeply hydrate your skin and avoid fine lines and wrinkles.
Best skincare tips for combination skin
- Choose the right cleanser. If you have dry areas on your face, use a gentle, non-foaming cleanser; if you have oily areas, use a mild soap or gel-based cleanser. Avoid harsh scrubs or exfoliators, which can strip away natural oils and cause irritation.
- Don't over-cleanse. Over-washing can actually make oily areas worse, so try to limit yourself to one cleansing session per day.
- Even if you have oily skin, it's important to use a light moisturizer to prevent dehydration and keep your skin looking healthy. Look for a moisturizer that is labeled "non-comedogenic" or "oil-free," and avoid products with heavy fragrances or ingredients that can cause irritation if you have dry or sensitive skin.
- Experiment with different products and give your skin time. Not all skincare products work the same for everyone with combination skin, so it may take some trial and error to find the right ones for your skin. Don't be afraid to try new products or brands, and always read the ingredient list before purchasing anything.
- Avoid using products that contain alcohol, acetone, or ammonia, since they can dry your skin even if it is oily.
Best skincare tips for sensitive skin
- Use gentle, non-irritating skin care products. Look for brands that are specifically designed for sensitive skin.
- Avoid harsh chemicals and ingredients like alcohol, fragrance, and sulfates.
- Don’t scrub your skin hard or use too many facial cleansers. Gently massage your face with a damp cloth to remove dirt and makeup.
- Apply moisturizer liberally and avoid products with harsh chemicals or fragrances.
- Use sun protection every day, even if it’s cloudy or cold outside to avoid skin cancer, blemishes, and redness. Choose broad spectrum protection that is gentle and doesn’t contain harsh chemicals to protect your skin.
- If you want to start using active ingredients like vitamin c serums, consult with a board certified dermatologist first, since vitamin c is an antioxidant that could irritate your skin.
Best anti aging secrets for an ever-young skin
As we age, it becomes more and more important to take care of our skin. We won’t lie to you, your skin won’t always look as good as it did when you were a teenager, so paying attention to it is a must.
Luckily, there are plenty of tips and tricks out there to help keep our skin looking young and healthy. Here are our favorite beauty tricks to prevent aging:
- Quit smoking. Smoking causes premature wrinkles and other age-related damage to the skin.
- Get enough sleep. It's important to get at least eight hours of sleep each night to allow your skin to rejuvenate itself.
- Use a moisturizer. A good moisturizer can help keep your skin hydrated and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- We won’t stop telling you this: wear sunscreen. Sunscreen is important for protecting your skin from the sun's harmful UV rays, which can cause wrinkles and age spots. Choose a sunscreen that is SPF 30 or higher and seek shade everytime you go out.
- Use anti aging skin care products like hyaluronic acid, vitamin c, niacinamide, retinol, green tea, and others.
Healthy skin tips: What comes next?
So now that you know all of the secrets to having healthy, glowing skin, what are you waiting for? Get shopping! Visit the Asian Beauty Essentials shop and get all the products you need to build an amazing skincare routine, and when you’re done, be sure to come back and let us know which are your faves!
We are eager to hear all about your experience. In the meantime, keep following The Idol beauty Blog for more tips on how to take care of your gorgeous self by celebrating your beautiful skin.