Let’s face it, our skincare routine can get pretty boring day in and day out. We all have our go-to products that we rely on to keep us looking good. But what if we literally spice it up a little bit? Let us introduce you to turmeric skin care products! These natural wonders can give your skin the boost it needs to look its best.
So read on if you want to know everything about this spice. You won’t be disappointed!
What is turmeric for the skin?
Now you must be thinking “Why would I choose turmeric skin care products?” or “Isn’t turmeric supposed to be used in my chicken recipe and not on my skin?”. Well, even though this herb is tasty, it can also do wonders for your complexion.
All in all, turmeric is a spice that has been used in India for centuries as a medicinal herb. It contains curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant that can help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals. Additionally, curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties that are able to soothe irritated skin in no time.
Pros & Cons of using turmeric skin care
- Turmeric can help to reduce inflammation and redness on the skin.
- It can help to brighten the skin and works as an aging-fighting ingredient to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Turmeric is a gentle, natural exfoliant.
- Helps to fight active acne and prevents future breakouts
- Since it is an antioxidant, it can help to reduce the appearance of scars.
- Turmeric can cause your skin to become more sensitive to the sun.
- Sometimes it can cause irritation, redness, and burning
- Some people are allergic to turmeric, so you should always do a patch test first.
Turmeric Ingredient Specifications
Turmeric skin care products are considered clean and generally safe for the skin. However, it's always a good idea to do a patch test on a small area of skin before using any new product. This will help you to determine if you have any sensitivities or allergies to the ingredient.
One of the great things about turmeric is that it's vegan! This means that it's a great option for those who are looking for natural and cruelty-free skin care products.
When used topically, turmeric is considered to be pregnancy-safe. So you can totally buy some turmeric skin care products and be sure that it won’t harm your little bun.
Yes, turmeric is generally considered safe for breastfeeding moms.
Turmeric is an active ingredient in skincare products, this means that it is the key component in a product that produces the desired effect.
Turmeric is non-comedogenic, meaning it won't clog pores or cause breakouts. This makes it an ideal ingredient for all skin types, including acne-prone skin.
EWG (Environment Working Group) Score
Turmeric has a 0-0.99 EWG score, which means it is considered a non-toxic and safe ingredient to use in skincare products.
CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review) Rating: A
The CIR Panel has not reviewed turmeric as an ingredient used in cosmetics. However, the Panel has reviewed a related compound, curcumin, which is found in turmeric. The CIR Expert Panel concluded that curcumin is safe for use in cosmetic products at levels up to 0.15%.
PRECAUTIONS: Things to know before using this ingredient
We know that you just want to run to your fave beauty store and renovate your whole skincare cabinet with turmeric skin care products, but you need to keep in mind a few things first:
When to use turmeric skin care?
You can use turmeric skin care products twice a day. However, it is important to start slowly and increase the frequency gradually.
What skin type is turmeric good for?
Turmeric is good for all skin types, but it can be especially beneficial for those with acne-prone or sensitive skin. Since the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of turmeric can help to soothe and calm irritated skin, while the natural exfoliating properties can help to unclog pores and clear up blemishes.
What you can’t mix with turmeric products?
- Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid: they actually reduce the efficacy of turmeric when used together
- Essential oils: when mixed with turmeric, they can cause irritation and itchiness.
- Retinoids: Turmeric can make retinoids less effective. If you want to use both together, apply them at different times of the day.
- Alpha hydroxy acids: Mixing alpha hydroxy acids with turmeric can cause irritation and redness. So it's best to avoid mixing these two ingredients together.
Best Turmeric skin care products
- KAHI Wrinkle Bounce Collagen Moisturizing Mist
- CRYSTAL MASK Blue Sapphire Collagen Hydration Mask
- Dr. Jart Vital Hydra Sleeping Mask
Cause your questions are spicy and our answers, too!
Can I apply turmeric on my face every day?
Yes, but start using turmeric skin care products once a day first and go from there.
Can we apply turmeric directly on face?
When used directly on the face, turmeric may stain your skin yellow or orange and it is difficult to remove, so it is always better to go for formulated skin care products that contain turmeric instead of applying it by yourself.
Is turmeric good for pimples?
Absolutely! Turmeric is thought to be a good natural remedy for pimples because it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It is also known to help reduce the appearance of scars.
What are the side effects?
Turmeric is generally considered safe for most people when applied to the skin. However, some people may experience side effects, such as skin irritation, redness, and itchiness.
Tips & Tricks
- Turmeric may cause your skin to be more sensitive to the sun, so be sure to use sunscreen when going outdoors after applying it topically.
- Always go for products with max. 0.15% of turmeric, if not, the ingredient could stain your skin a little.