We don't know about you, but when we think of honey, the first thing that comes to mind is bear wrestling. Okay, maybe that's just us! But seriously, have you ever stopped and thought about all of the amazing benefits honey has for our skin?
Turns out, this sweet stuff is packed with antioxidants and antibacterials that are great for keeping our complexion clear and healthy! In today's post, we'll take a closer look at the benefits and how to use honey skincare products. Keep reading to learn more!
What is honey for skin?
Honey is a sweet, sticky ingredient made by bees and some related insects. Bees collect nectar from flowers and store it in their honey stomachs. When they return to the hive, they regurgitate the nectar *gross, we know* and pass it to other worker bees, who add enzymes to the nectar that turn it into honey.
Honey skincare is formulated with this ingredient since it is super beneficial for the skin. Honey is a moisturizer and anti-bacterial component that can hydrate and fight acne-causing bacteria.
Pros & Cons of using honey skin care products
- Honey is a natural humectant, making it an excellent ingredient for dry or sensitive skin types
- It is also antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, which means it can help to soothe and heal acne-prone skin
- Helps to brighten your complexion and give your skin a healthy glow
- Finally, honey is a natural exfoliator. It can help to slough away dead skin cells and reveal softer, smoother skin underneath.
- A humectant draws moisture from the air and into your skin. If you live in a dry climate, honey could dry out your skin, since there is no moisture in the air.
- Honey can be a bit of an allergen. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to do a patch test before using any products with honey in them.
Honey Ingredient Specifications
Honey is a natural ingredient that doesn't contain any harsh chemicals. It's also a great alternative to traditional skincare products that can be loaded with synthetic ingredients.
No, honey skincare is not vegan. Honey is made by bees from the nectar of flowers, so it is an animal by-product.
This ingredient is pregnancy safe and can be a great addition to your skincare routine since it can soothe the swelling caused by pregnancy.
There's no need to worry if you're a nursing mother and want to use honey on your skin. Honey is safe for both mother and baby, as it contains no harmful chemicals.
Honey is used as an active ingredient in many skincare products. This is because it contains many benefits for the face, including moisturizing, soothing inflammation, and antibacterial properties.
This active ingredient is non-comedogenic, so it won’t cause clogged pores.
EWG (Environment Working Group) Score
Honey has an EWG score of 0-0.19, which means it is one of the safest ingredients you can use on your skin.
CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review) Rating: A
The CIR rates honey as an “A” ingredient, meaning that it is safe to apply it to your skin.
PRECAUTIONS: Things to know before using this ingredient
You must be eager to try this sweet, sticky substance, but first, let us tell you some do’s and don’ts:
When to use honey skin care products?
Honey can be used as a face wash, toner, moisturizer, or mask twice a day.
What skin type is honey good for?
As a humectant, honey is an ideal ingredient for all skin types, but especially for dry or sensitive skin.
What you can’t mix with honey?
- Exfoliating agents: since honey is already an exfoliator, mixing it with other exfoliants, like glycolic acid, could irritate your skin.
- Retinol and vitamin A derivatives: these ingredients can increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun, and honey could make that worse
Top Picks of our honey collection
- COSRX Full Fit Propolis Synergy Toner
- ESFOLIO Honey Cleansing Foam
- G9SKIN Honey Eye Patch
$15 and under honey skin care products
- Etude House - 0.2mm Therapy Air Mask - Manuka Honey
- COSRX Blackhead Silk Finger Ball
- THE FACE SHOP Real Nature - Honey Sheet Mask
You have a lot of questions about how to use honey. We have the answers!
Can you use honey skin care products every day?
Yes, you can use honey skincare products every day without risking irritation or clogging your pores.
Is it safe to use honey on skin?
Absolutely! However, take into account that honey is an allergen, so you should do a patch test first.
Does honey help with acne?
Honey is a natural antibacterial agent, making it great for acne-prone skin. In fact, honey has been shown to be just as effective as benzoyl peroxide, one of the most common acne treatments. Honey can help kill off the bacteria that cause acne breakouts, and it can also help soothe inflamed skin. If you're looking for a natural way to help treat your acne, honey might be worth a try!
Tips & Tricks
- Use a honey cleanser to hydrate your skin and clean your pores twice a day.
- Apply a honey mask once or twice a week if you have dry skin.
- Try not to use honey in its natural form and opt for formulated products with this ingredient instead. This is because common honey, like the one you find in the farmer’s market, can be full of bacteria.