Ahh yes, the Twenties. Just when you think you’re figuring things out, you hit another decade on your life, and you’re trying to keep up with all the life-changing experiences that the last thing on your mind would probably be your skin.
After the awkward break-outs during your teenage years, you’re probably expecting that you’d be in the clear but an adult (and hormonal acne), and the introduction of physiological changes, plus daily stress is sure enough to make your skin enter another state of catastrophe.
These things are all normal and we’re here to break down all of the best practices on How to Take Care of Your Skin in Your 20s.
Use Sunscreen Daily
You’ve probably heard your Dermatologist say this and we’ll say it again. Invest in a good Sunscreen with an adequate amount of SPF in it. Most dermatologists recommend wearing sunscreen and reapplying it within a few hours to keep your skin protected from harmful sun rays. Sun protection is just as important as any other step in a skin care routine because it’s your first line of defense against damaging UVA and UVB rays that are the cause of the early signs of aging such as fine lines, dark spots, and wrinkles.
Moisturize your skin!
They say healthy skin is hydrated skin. You’re probably hesitating already because it may not be the best if you have oily or greasy skin. Worry not, you just need to find the best to address your skin type!
If you have greasy skin, opt for a light lotion or serum. Normal to Dry skin could use facial oils and creams as their go-to moisturizers. Start by adding a layer that you’re comfortable with and let it seep into your skin. Once it dries down, you can add another to your liking.
Before you can think of actually sealing on moisture you have to make sure that there’s moisture to actually seal.
Keep your skin supple and drink up your H2O. It may sound cliche’ but you need to aim for eight cups a day or even more! Hydration, inside and out, is one of the keys to keeping your skin radiant.
Get Enough Sleep!
You’re more likely to stay up later than usual whether it’s due overtime for work or binge-watching your favorite Netflix dramas! For your body to keep up, it releases the hormone called Cortisol.
When your body starts producing excess cortisol, it loses its ability to retain water. This is what leads to dehydrated skin where your skin lacks moisture in the absence of which your skin starts to turn flaky and dry.
No matter how hard it is to let go, make sure to treat yourself to some sleep. Even though, 8-10 hours of sleep is considered a Myth nowadays. You still need to make an effort to take it. You’ll be thanking yourself later.
Build your own Skin Care Routine
Let’s face it. There’s no such thing as a product that works well with Everyone. Take your time to build a routine that suits you. Do your research and consider the factors that can affect your skin. You don’t need to splurge on high-end $60 creams and toners.
Take this list with you:
- A Gentle Cleanser - Enough to keep your face clean without stripping off moisture and the natural oils on your face.
- Toner - to help close pores and tighten cell gaps after cleansing and prep the skin for moisturizers and serum while getting rid of excess oils and stubborn dirt.
- Moisturizer - Any decent moisturizer should hydrate the skin—but the best ones also soothe, fight free radical damage, protect skin from future damage, and heal your natural barrier so you need to make sure to choose one that suits you.
- Sunscreen - Make sure to select a Broad-Spectrum sunscreen that will block both UVA and UVB rays. Dermatologists recommend using a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, which blocks 97 percent of the sun's UVB rays.
- Treatments, Serums, and Oils - Not only do you need to maintain your skin’s health but you have to address the things that it may need. Treatments for acne and getting serums and oils that pack a high concentration of ingredients and minerals your skin needs will pay off eventually and make your skin thank you later.
Now that you have all this information, you can start being on the look-out to see what works best for you!
Your world is ever-evolving. Explore and try new things and eventually, you’ll find your holy grail of products that’ll give you healthy, glowing, and youthful skin.